lunes, 20 de abril de 2009

the amazonas

And this one is for Krista K, possibly the only one of my gfs who reads my blogs.. and likes it J lol.

Right now I am in bed recovering from the Amazon. We left on Thursday night and took a plane to Iquitos. I feel pretty much pro at taking planes now… I have taken like.. 6 since I’ve been here, and my fear is pretty much gone. I do think the plane will crash only like once a trip now (Mandy) not every 5 min :), although there was some discomforting turbulence which gave me good reason this time.. along with engine problems. Man I love getting on planes with engine problems. But all is well and here I am back in Lima! We stayed in Iquitos for the night, my most mom told me the town was feisima! – which is true, it’s a very very ugly town, with old run down buildings and such.. we couldn’t figure out if they were poor or of that’s just how the lived.. given they of course aren’t as well to do as well, ‘normal’ in the states, but ‘normal’ for Peru, we couldn’t figure out. Anyway we got on a boat early Friday morning to start our trek to the jungle.. and we boated on the Amazon to the Sinchicuy Lodge, our lodge for the weekend which was quite outdoorsy.. no electricity and basically outside with just mosquito like net/walls to protect us from the night. Then we dropped our stuff off then boated down the Amazon again to a tribe called Yague, that wore no shoes and grass like outfits, like you see in the movies, and they spoke their own tribe-like language, along with Castellano so they can trade. We were trying to figure out if they really lived like that.. and we think they do, we don’t think it’s just for show. They had very different mannerisms. After that we met a doctor, like a jungle doctor. His name was Marley or Marlo and he used elements, seeds, flowers, and other natural things from the jungle to heal the town and we got to try a few of his concoctions, except for one we weren’t allowed to try by ISA that makes you hallucinate, but it’s supposed to be their ‘mother-plant’, that heals major things or something. Then we went to another place and trade pure sugar cane this other plant from the area, tasted like cotton and sugar mixed together around this plant. I think it was camu-camu, or maybe cocona, not sure. Then we got back for the night, had supper, then got back in the canoe again to go on a night ride to listen to all the selva sounds and look at the stars, which are amazing amazing, and we saw the southern cross and it’s sooo pretty and sooo bright. Then the next day we went out on the amazon and went dolphin watching. Like normal dolphins, and then these pink dolphins – they’re really pretty and really pink too. It was mating season so they were all over the place. Then we walked through the jungle with our guide for the week, Jorge, basically George of the Jungle… he was crazy, a true jungle man, and a very good guide. Anyway, we walked through the jungle… hottest experience of my life! Soooooo soo hot and humid, almost unbearable, and we saw the biggest ants in the world… that are quite harmful if they touch you, good thing we were a whole foot away! Huge termite nests, pretty butterflies, huge huge huge trees – they were so cool, big gross tarantula’s, and with my luck, a snake – that I almost stepped on, freaked out, and Jorge to the rescue, ran back and caught it. It was actually a harmless snake, one of 3 in the jungle, it was the rainbow snake and it changed colors in the sun – was really pretty, I was just glad it wasn’t a boa constrictor, which is another of the 3 that are in the jungle! Later we went fishing for piranhas! Weird huh! I was the only one to catch one, showed you proud, dad, and all my years Wisconsin fishing! Was the only fish caught of the day, and the hook ruined his teeth or something so we had him for lunch, and he was quite tasty. Then we went swimming in the Amazon! The river in the part we swam in was bright black, except clear when we looked under water – it’s not because of pollution, unlike every river in Iowa, it’s because of all the erosion around the river. The next day we went to an island and we saw monkey’s that came up to us and played with us, baby ant-eaters, a crocodile, a toucan, a tarantula (ick!), and a boa constrictor, where they keep orphaned animals and put them back into the jungle after a time – it was neat. The trip was fun and intense and HOT, and I got really really sick the last night and didn’t sleep at all I was so sick and laid with a towel by my side for when I threw up.. so the last day of traveling was absolutely miserable, by boat for about two hours, by bus, and by plane, but I am feeling better so I am hoping that it’s not some jungle disease or malaria! And.. I’ve decided.. Peruanos have very different remedies.. you should hear the list of things I’m not allowed to eat… like.. juice.. fruit or vegetables, milk, cheese, bread, butter.. basically anything except this weird concocted soup my Elisabeth whipped up for me. When I had a cold and couldn’t talk I wasn’t allowed to touch anything room temperature or cold, and especially ice, that was “deadly”. I could only eat.. warm and hot things. I’ve been recovering today and watching a lot of Peruvian TV, I lovvve tv here. I normally don’t watch it at all at home. But here I love it! It’s like a learning experience, I’m such a nerd I know lol, but if something is in English (a lot is – sometimes it’s hard to find stuff in Spanish!) they have subtitles, which I’ve learned to read, and the other times they have really good dubbed movies. And they have cool channels too like Cosmo and actual Channels with music videos on all day long. Anyway – hope everything is well with everyone. I heard Pres babe rolled over all the way! Yay! Lol, Hope the IC formal trip was fun girlsies, can’t wait to do it next year! This blog was kinda boring Krista :P I’ll post a new one soon for you! Update me on your lives! I love and miss you all sooo much!

Besos!

1 comentario:

  1. Hi Molly! Sure is nice to hear from you. I'm glad you are keeping up with your fishing skills!! I'm excited that you are going to be home in a month because I miss you very much. I had a wonderful time with Paige down in Texas. Preston is able to roll from tummy to back and back to tummy so he has become mobile. He shows off and giggles.
    Take care and I love you. love dad

    ResponderEliminar